Monday, October 25, 2010

Charcoal on paper

Last week I had 45 minutes until my husband was finished teaching. I was in the drawing studio and found some fat charcoal sticks in my bag. So I grabbed a mirror and large piece of brown paper and started to draw a self portrait. I haven't done it in a while. I quieted the little voices who did not want to draw or look at myself and started. It was a good exercise. The big hunk of charcoal made it difficult to do fine detail with a light touch. When I got home I addressed some of the problems and used white conte to add my grey hair. I need to do this more often.

9 comments:

  1. Hello, Elizabeth. This is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks William. It's really hard not only to draw my likeness but to look at myself as I am. I could probably add more wrinkles heehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the image. How did charcoal become sepia toned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used brown craft paper so where there is no charcoal that colour shows through. It does give a sepia tone to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great image, Elizabeth!
    Following! I thought I was already following you...maybe you changed your blog or something like that.
    And thanks so muchfor your wonderful comments on my blog!

    Have a lovely day!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth,
    you did a very good job with your first experience of using charcoal.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful. I love how artists draw and paint themselves at all stages of their lives showing their technical and inner growth with each passing decade. It is a bold and fine tradition and I hope you continue to visit yourself as subject matter. Your strokes are lively and varied and I love the white highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Work Elizabeth and interesting effect using brown paper it looks sepia to me.
    cheers
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Self-portrait, a difficult task to any artist, to capture the inner self!

    ReplyDelete